America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

22 February 2006

Oh, The Places You'll Go! and other recommended titles


A co-worker turned me on to this children's book by Dr Seuss. He said that it's the only Dr Seuss book which adults can appreciate. I immediately found a used copy on ebay and bought it cheap. How right he was! Oh, The Places You'll Go! is a book I pick up every now and then when I need to lift my spirits. If you find yourself in a bookstore or library, please pick this up and read it, slowly and with your undivided attention. You might just want to own a copy afterwards.

Another children's book which I hunted for on ebay is called Bang Bang You're Dead, by the late Louise Fitzhugh. Published in 1969, it's a hard to find work of art that might be out of print. I picked up a pristine copy on ebay for about $15. The copy one you see pictured is in rough shape and offered on ebay for $36! This illustrated book haunted me for years. It has disturbing scenes of violence which I don't believe that children younger than thirteen should see. I read this book dozens of times when I was 7-8 years old, and I think it messed me up a little. A must-read which I am saving for little Reis when he is old enough. Here's a link to this ebay listing: Bang Bang You're Dead It's one of the two which turned up in search results. As I said- hard to find!

This is the third book which I recommend for no home to be without. The stunnung illustrations are by the author. A classic tale of mischief and fantasy, through the eyes of a child sent to bed without any supper. Even The Simpsons did a spoof on the charming monsters in this book. I bought mine brand new at the bookstore last Bayram for my little Reis, along with...

Yertle the Turtle, another highly regarded book I bought for him- contains the classic story Gertrude McFuzz and The Big Brag- all three are hilarious stories with excellent morals for adults and children alike) "I'm Yertle the Turtle, oh marvelous me, for I am the ruler of all that I see..." This is one of Dr. Seuss' few politically inspired works. Own a copy NOW, you'll inevitably looking for it when you have children! How can you resist a book with a character named "Lolla-Lee-Lou"?! (I told Ebru that if we have a girl one day, that I wanted to name her "Lolla-Lee-Lou!", including the exclamation point) Yes I love Milla Jovovich in The Fifth Element as well! Damn that Bruce Willis gets all the luck.

Go to MAIN Page
Go to AMERIKAN TURKS Discussion Forum- DEBATE!
Go to AMERIKAN TURKS Yahoo Group- NETWORK!

No comments: