America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

08 May 2006

Daniel Biechele being sentenced for The Station nightclub fire

On Feb 20th 2003, an inferno at "The Station" night club in West Warwick, Rhode Island cost 100 people their lives. The club's location is only a few miles from our home. The night of the fire, we were awakened by an acrid smell in the house. I went into the basement thinking that maybe our boiler was malfunctioning. As it turned out, smoke and fumes from the fire blanketed the entire town, and the smell penetrated the walls every house in the neighborhood. We went back to bed, not knowing what was going on. The following morning we discovered what had really happened. Here's the latest in the criminal prosecution of those judged responsible, including the Armenian owners of the club, Jeffrey and Michael Derdarian.

Now I hate to bring it up, but the video footage I've seen of the people jammed in the club's entrance- the lower half of their bodies being burned alive- evokes for me images of the Jewish Holocaust. The genocide which took place in Germany included horrific methods and means of elimination, including gas chambers and incinerators, designed for the sole purpose of extingushing life and then disposing of the remains. What's my point? It's this: Show me evidence of any such device (gas chamber, incinerator or even death/labor camp) ever existing in Turkey or used against Armenians. There weren't any. Prove me wrong.

You can label me a denier of Armenian genocide all you like, if it pleases you. There is too great a disparity between the events of the WW2 Jews and WW1 Armenians, for them to share a descriptive word, especially when one considers that Armenians had blood on their hands and Jews did not!

I understand that huge numbers of innocent Armenians- men, women, children, babies, elderly- were senselessly and mercilessly slaughtered. I highly doubt that any Turk will deny this, and I'm sure that every Turk feels some regret and sorrow about the innocents. But what never reaches people and what Armenians would rather no one know about, is the context of these events, the provocations and treason and sedition which led to them, the complicity of the Armenians who had a hand in the destruction of the Ottoman Empire.

This is the heart of what Turks wish to debate, and it comes as no surprise that Armenians reject and dismiss any such challenges. For this reason, I believe that Armenians are equally guilty of the revisionism which Turkey is accused of. Turkey will never give in, not when Turks are continually and myopically portrayed as the un-provoked predator while Armenians pass themselves off as the faultless victims.

7 comments:

Gulay said...

Whilst I don't disagree with you about the Armenian issue in general I do think your comments about the gas chambers are a touch out of place give the Turkish, or at least, "Ottoman" tolerance of religion and the fact that many Spanish and other Jews owe their lives to that. I dont know twhat the the real story is about the Armeninans and I wish there could be an open debate. This may sound hypocritcial after my comments about FB but that is nothing compared to this issue which I believe is uneccesarily causing problems, as the Armenians have to accept some blame (which they appear reluctant to do) and we the Turks have to say yes it happened but what was the difference between the Spanish Inquisition or any other such progrom. Surely it's about time the Catholic Church was held accountable for its actions!!!!!! Where are the legal cases against the Pope for the wholesale slaughter of people throughout the ages and in more recent times by those who have been infected by HIV due to the ban on condoms. But NO we have to find fault with the Turks because they are not Catholic.!!! HYPOCRITES.

Anonymous said...

Why do you assume the method of massacre has to be similar to the Jewish Holocaust to be labeled genocide? Armenians weren't killed by gas chambers - true. So what? They were killed by marches worse than the Bataan Death March. They were starved. They were shot point blank. Their homes were torched. Is there a moral difference? Of course not.

You're correct, many Armenians did side with Russia and other anti-Ottoman forces. Why? Because of the PREVIOUS MASSACRES at the end of the 19th century. Why should they be loyal to a gvoernment that wanted them dead. If the shoe were on the other foot, Turks would be having fits of apoplexy.

Anonymous said...

Gulay said:

Where are the legal cases against the Pope for the wholesale slaughter of people throughout the ages...?


Pope John Paul apologized for the sins of the church in the past. Unlike Turks, he acknowledged the wrongdoing.

By the way, I'm not a Turkey-basher. I have Turkish family and I visit once a year. But, Turkish nationalism is the greatest stain on the country and its people. Treatment of minorities is similar to Jim Crow America.

Gulay said...

Firstly why are you anonymous, do you not have the courage to reveal your identity.

Second. So the Catholic Church apologised, big deal. It cost them nothing except words. In the case of Turkey and the Armenians I can gaurantee that if the present Turkish Govt apologised the next thing that would happen would be a class action lawsuit deamnding land, property etc. to be returned. I have a certain amount of sympathy for what happened to the Armenians as I have sympathy for all people subjected to such events.

I do agree with you though that Turkish Nationalism can be a problem. I am proud to be Turkish but sometimes my countrymen can really piss me off with their arrogant "This is Turkey and we are unique" attitude. I also find the intolerance of other cuoltures and languages to be a prolem for me.

My point was that I found the image of the gas chambers to be distressing and wished that Murat had used another image.

Murat Altinbasak said...

Gulay, forgive me for the disturbing comparison. I trust that you can see past it and understand the point I was trying to make. What it boils down to is that there is no comparison between the Jewish Holocaust and the Armenian events. However, Armenians are indoctrinating anyone and everyone who will listen, to believe that they were completely innocent and did nothing to provoke.

Gulay said...

Thanks Murat. Putting the image to one side I do agree with you about this and sometimes wish the Turkish Govt would be more proactive but its hard when the Armenians have the ear of Congress and we dont!

Murat Altinbasak said...

Gulay: You should check out this blog entry by an Armenian who shows his true colors. Skip straight to the comments section:

http://aramanoogian.blogspot.com/2006/04/our-turkish-readers-want-to-debate.html