America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

15 June 2006

An active brain is a terrible thing to waste

I can't sleep. It's 12:40 AM and moments ago I was chasing moths in our bedroom- one the size of my hand- which wouldn't stop fluttering. Wifey left a window open and the screen wasn't shut... Then our son awoke and now he's in our bed with us. I'm wide awake with a lot on my mind. Work has consumed me these past few weeks. I am on a different playing field than usual, in a reactive state with all of my projects, trying like hell to re-gain control... Riding home today from work, people were getting in my way on the bike path. Over-taking a pair of slow poke bicyclists is dicey. They never hear my calls of "Left!" or "Passing on the left!". Even the schmucks with mirrors don't see me coming, but when I pass them I usually mumble something like "use your G-d damned mirror douchebag". I'm usually motoring at about 25 mph when I come across these folks doing about 10 mph. Then there are the walkers- two abreast and oblivious to what's coming up from behind. That's why walkers are supposed to go on the left, but they never do. Then there are the little kids who meander aimlessly across the bike path, left to right, obstructing me and in danger of getting hurt. If I struck a small child or a dog doing 25 mph, I'll probably fall but survive, but they will be sent to the hospital or die. Roller bladers and people walking their dogs are another nuisance... Why own a dog the size of a squirrel? Doesn't make any sense. If I own a dog, it had better be big enough to defend itself from other dogs, and protect me too. Parents riding with their kids is dangerous, especially when none of them are ever wearing a helmet. I've scolded my fair share of kids and parents about this. Then there's that g-d damned tunnel- the one with lights that don't ever work, the one where some assholes left a 4x4 piece of wood in the center three years ago, which I struck in the pitch black darkness and fell, hard, ending my 2003 season. I should have sued the town while I had the chance. I resolve to petition the town to get those f-ing lights turned on, 24/7. And drivers, you're no prize. When I approach an intersection on the bike path, I decide to stop and wait for a reason: because I can hear and see you coming. Sometimes I'll stop, and here's a lone car which decides, after I've stopped, to let me pass. I wave them on while I curse under my breath. I'M ALREADY STOPPED, ASSHOLE! I don't need you to stop, I need you to KEEP GOING! I know they're trying to be nice, but if I've already stopped, why do they bother? I'm not a circus animal on parade... Grrrrr. I'm clearly the biggest asshole on the bike path, acting like I own it and all. Did I mention that teen age punks like to break glass bottles on the path? Yup, everyday there's a new patch of broken glass to dodge. If ever I caught these m-f-ers it would be a bad day for them, mark my words... Once I caught some kids lighting a fire in the underpass- stopped and yelled at them- they fled. Last week some smart alec put a railroad tie across the middle of the path, which I stopped and removed. The graffiti these kids spray paint onto the road is pretty obcene too. Sometimes I hate the douch-bag white trash teen agers who lurk on my path. They do nothing but get in the way and obviously vandalize it. Feeling better now that this shit is off my chest. This weekend if Fathers Day. If I have my way I'll be racing in CT on Sat and at Wells Ave on Sunday, if the weather holds, and if I'm not hospitalized by a bike path collision with some clueless dipshit who's deaf dumb and blind.

3 comments:

Oguz said...

Sometimes I too feel like I'm the only sane person left in the world; I get pissed off at anything and everything that would otherwise seem trivial to others. So I'm glad to see someone else put this anger into words so beautifully :D ... and lol @ the dogs that could be mistaken for squirrels.. people either think it's cute or they're just demented. I guess we just gotta rise above all this 'bok'...

Idil said...

You should vent your anger more often..

Murat Altinbasak said...

You guys like it when I use abbreviated-hyphenated curse words? To describe my self-centered diatribe as beautiful is a compliment which I appreciate deeply. Thanks Oguz and Idil..