America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

04 June 2006

...and we'll walk in the sun..til then tramps like us...

Yesterday I traveled to Connecticut and couldn't resist shooting this portrait of American excess while driving north on I-95. A Bentley and a Hummer, together worth at least $150,000. Last night I watched Being John Malkovich and I must say I was impressed, even with Cameron Diaz.. Rode my bike today in the pouring rain for 1-1/2 hours. Glad I did it because yesterday was a rest day and I hate skipping two days of training. Riding in the rain not only draws blank stares, it also builds character and cleanses the soul. Most drivers under-estimate my speed and make turns right in front of me. I almost crashed into two such dingleberries and verbally assaulted them in retaliation, not that they could hear me... It's still raining cats and dogs... Which reminds me, I found an excellent resource for the origins of every conceivable metaphor and phrase. Recommended reading, especially if English is your 2nd language. Our Amerikan Turks Yahoo Group (an online community of Turkish bloggers and their readers) has become a bit stagnant and I want to attract more members. Check it out and join if it interests you to be on the leading edge of Turkish blogs which are written using English.. Our home is still for sale and today we discovered a very nice condo we might like to buy. Try the link and take the 360 degree tour- invade the privacy of my home, go ahead. Tomorrow I'll race at Wells Ave, if only the rain would stop. I find myself in excellent form and want to make some people suffer.. I wish summer-time would stop playing "hard to get". Lastly, I received a call back from a career opportunity in California. I had sent a resume back in March and yesterday an e-mail arrived asking if I was still interested. I'd probably take the position for even money, considering the climatic advantages. I wish I could talk to some former New Englanders who have relocated to the Left Coast...

5 comments:

metin said...

I am a transplant (10 years this summer) from NYC, not New England but close. Cost of living much higher here, especially real estate. Also, depending on what region of Cali, temps can be a good thing or bad. Overall, I highly recommend it, just for the ability to be outdoors most of the year without the humidity in places like Texas and Florida. Besides, no storms and hurricanes, just earhquakes but in the last 10 years or so, nothing . . . I love being where I am and I am definitely glad I made the move.

Murat Altinbasak said...

How much more expensive can it be? A decent 1200 SF condo in Rhode Island costs $300k. A decent home $400+ and the sky's the limit. I will need to find out which city we're talking about. If memory serves it was San Diego but I'm not certain. Thanks for the tips.

metin said...

Murat: A decent condo in Orange County is approx. $600K, a house is $800K in a not-so-nice neighborhood away from the coast. Of course, the closer you get to the coastal areas, prices start at approx. $1M for a typical 3BR house with practically no backyard. However, on the upside, the appreciation is huge. A house selling for $600K in 2002 is now selling for $1.2M, and a condo selling for $400K just 2 years ago, now on the market for $700K. San Diego is very similar to OC. Northern Cali may even be more expensive.

Anonymous said...

Metin said: However, on the upside, the appreciation is huge.

The problem is there is no guarantee this will continue. And, if you buy now, there is a very real risk you're buying at the top of the market. Real estate valuations CANNOT continue to show double-digit growth year after year. Returns always regress to the mean.

metin said...

Anonymous: You are referring to a 'general' overview of the market. In those cases as well, the market has always come back to exceed the point prior to any crash or adjustment.

In Southern California however, especially in the coastal areas, we do not and will not experience such an outlook, as land is fully developed and appreciation continues to stream upward with no signs of slowing. I live and work here and I see this firsthand. With prices so high, even SINGLE DIGIT growth can mean a great deal to price some people out of the market.

An average person may need to look 20 miles inland to buy anything affordable, however unlike the east coast, we don't measure distance in terms of miles but in time it takes to travel a mile. In addition, the temperature changes in the summer between beach areas and inland can be as much as 2 to 3 degrees per mile higher as you go inland. And of course, the smog.