America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

25 June 2006

Can-Do-Me-Nium

Sounds like an exotic mineral that is mined for it's aphrodesiac qualities. Or it sounds just plain obsene... Condominiums by definition are not very attractive investments. You own the right to occupy the space within the walls of your "unit". (More incidental dirty talk, sorry) and you own a percentage of the overall common land area. What you don't own.. (hehe) is a rake, a snow shovel, a broom, a leaf blower, a lawn mower, a chain saw, hedge clippers, a wet/dry vac, a tool belt, a table saw, an air compressor, pneumatic nail gun, saw horses, belt sander, a paint brush, or any of the responsibility to use any of the aforementioned utility objects...
Wife and I had some debate today about whether we used good judgment signing the purchase and sale agreement for our new can-do. She's still convinced we could live in a better location, with a better school system, in a more spacious single family home. True, true and true... but at the cost of adding about $100,000 to the mortgage note which we'd be signing, possibly double the property taxes and double the heating/cooling bill! If moving from this place anto another equally expensive home is going to cost us more money per month, why bother?? We wanted something brand new, in a better location, close to where I work, for less money and less monthly expense than this place that we're selling! I think this is more of a man/woman or mars/venus issue.. Generally speaking, men are more likely to "stay the course" of a decision, with a lot less self-doubt about whether the decision was a good one.. The chauvenist in me shines through, I know.. Deal with it.
Watching Cinderella Man (for the 2nd time) tonight, I was awe struck by the way Renee Zellweger's character stood by her man, the way she supported and expressed her belief in her man's ability. Almost made you wish you lived back in those days, when women were less assertive, more attentive, less combative, more submissive, less "all-knowing", more respectful, etc, etc.. A woman who dismisses, humiliates, restricts, impedes, or otherwise just dis-believes in her man's dreams, goals and ambitions, is just spreading poison in her own garden, killing the harvest never mind reaping it... There was a line in the movie spoken by Jimmy's manager's wife which rang so true:

"...We have to wait for them to fix everything. And every day... they feel like they're failing us..."
And this just choked me up with... I don't know.. Jealousy?:

Zellweger: "You can't win without me behind you."
Crowe: "That's what I've been trying to tell you."

It's 3:00 am and I should be asleep. My race begins in 6-1/2 hours. Don't know why I got up in the first place except that my stomach was growling for some food, and my mind heavy with a fog which I needed to clear... Good night.

No comments: