America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

19 June 2006

The One Time You Don't Use 'em, You're Screwed

I took a bad fall at a construction site today and twisted my ankle. I've been to this project 25 times in the past 18 months... ALWAYS wore my steel toe boots and hard hat. But not today... It was so damn hot and humid out that I got lazy and went inside with my Adidas tennis shoes on. There was a pile of aluminum diffuser grilles which I needed to get out of there, so I'm carrying them to the bed of my pick-up truck, 8-10 at a time. Truck was parked right next to a granite curb about 10" high. It happened so fast I didn't know what hit me. I'm reaching out with my right foot to step down off the curb (while carrying 50 pounds worth of grilles) and the next thing I know I'm on the ground with my right foot twisted in an un-natural position. It hurt like hell and I immediately retreated to the a/c cooled cab of my truck to check my foot... It could have been a lot worse- I could have cut myself on the grilles I was carrying, I could have hurt my knee (which broke my fall to an extent), all kinds of other crap could have happened to me. Well I'm limping now and took the day off the bike. Hoping to do a test ride tomorrow to see if it's possible to race this weekend. Was planning to race the Cox Charities Cycling Classic on Sunday, in the Professional event, which has a purse of $15,000 and pays the top 25 finishers... My ankle needs to be 100% by Friday for me to part with a $35 entry fee.
The moral of the story is this: ALWAYS wear those damn steel toe boots, no matter what! They might have saved my ankle from getting so twisted..

5 comments:

Berkan said...

Hi Murat,

My name is Berkan from Istanbul. I am glad to see another Turkish blog :). I would like to do "Link Exchange" with you. If you interested please let me know. I have a blog about
monuments and best hotels all accross the Mediterrennean espcially TURKEY.

My blog address is http://hotels2stay.blogspot.com
My email is hotels2stay@yahoo.com

I will be waiting for your reply :)

Murat Altinbasak said...

Berkan merhaba.

There are lots of Turkish blogs (in English) Glad you found me and of course I would be happy to post your link.. Please join our Yahoo Group for Turkish bloggers. There is a badge in the right column of Amerikan Turk- it's red/blue. Use it to navigate to the group. We're one big happy family and would love to see you among us.
-Murat

metin said...

Murat: Gecmis Olsun! thought they wouldn't allow any1 in a construction site w/o hard hat and steel toed boots. Anyway, I will follow your advice and wear my steel toes when I go to the beach today. You never know who/what I may run into.

Murat Altinbasak said...

Thanks Metin. This project is almost complete so the need for such protection seemed to be overkill. I was just there cleaning up excess left over materials left behind by my carpenters. It's true though- if my boots were laced up tight, I might have avoided injury, much the same way basketball court shoes are "high tops", to give more ankle support.

the Middle T said...

Safety first! It's never too hot out to be safe.