America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

21 June 2006

Sprained Ankle Maybe Not As Bad As I Feared

I did a light recovery bike ride yesterday after work and it was encouraging... I think that racing this weekend is doubtful, but my swollen ankle was in a lot less pain while riding the bike, as compared to just plain walking. I read at a medical site that riding a bicycle (not with intensity) is good therapy for keeping the ankle flexible and helping rid the swollen area of fluids. Yesterday I applied very little pressure onto the bike pedals, and I tried to ride out of the saddle for a little bit. It seems as thought the slightly added discomfort can be controlled with pain medication and that my injury isn't aggravated with the exertion. What hurts the most is climbing and descending stairs. It's too early to be testing the joint, I know, but I was anxious to evaluate it. July 8th and 9th is a huge race weekend for me... I need to be in top form by that time, only 2-1/2 weeks from now. By the way, it is absolutely beautiful outside, on this first day of Summer. I hope that all New Englanders enjoy it, summer's taken a long time to arrive this year.

4 comments:

Elif said...

Get well soon Murat.

Murat Altinbasak said...

Many thanks Elif. I feel better already- today I am bounding up the stairs at work- two steps at a time. Walking down stairs is actually harder. The nature of this injury, even with the swelling, is such that I think I can pedal a bike no problem.

Anonymous said...

hope you are well murat - big race weekend on the 8-9th july! I now know who to follow at attleboro in the 30+ race :-)

Kieran

Hilal said...

feel better, murat (and g'luck in the race)!