America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

28 July 2006

One Week Since I Was Assaulted by a Car

My ankle is not going to heal for months it seems. Still walking around in slippers (even at work)because shoes are just too painful to wear.. And my sock ends up sticking to the open wound...

Since my bike was also damaged in the collision, it is unsafe to ride, even if I replaced the parts that are bent or crushed. It would be dangerous to try and train or race on a carbon fiber bike that was hit so hard. (I would need the frame's alignment to be professionally checked before any such attempt- maybe mail it to the fabricator in Australia?) While it appears to be intact, unlike aluminum or steel frames, there are no "tells" on the surface which would reveal any internal failure of the carbon fiber strands... George Hincapie lost the Paris-Roubaix this spring when his steerer tube failed suddenly- he was literally holding his handlebars in mid-air after the separation occurred. With no way to steer, he hit the deck- hard:

So now I am shopping around for a completely new bike. It may be time to bite the bullet and buy the bike of my dreams: a LOOK full carbon fiber frameset- either the model 486 or the 585.. The 486 frame has very attractive lines- very sexy. The 585 is ligher by about a pound. The frame without fork weighs 995 grams!!!! This one kilo frame is strong enough to carry a 200 pound cyclist. Blows the mind what they can do with carbon fiber. (Each of them costs about $3000. When you add all of the parts and the wheels, total cost of about $6000) Here are the frames: help me to choose!

5 comments:

metin said...

The first one looks better. Now we need to figure out a campaign to 'sponsor' you and raise the money. Would you be interested in advertising 'blog' links on your shirt. Sayyy...if we charged $100 per line, we could raise the $5K or $6K.

Murat Altinbasak said...

That idea has merit... but not for money. I thought of launching a brand called "Amerikan Turk", and even using the little red and blue badge/button as the logo. I have sponsors now, but their support is pretty limited.

Anonymous said...

How about a Parlee? They are in your neck of the woods.

Oz Kanka said...

You are still recovering from injuries that in some way are "light" compared to what could have happened and you are now considering spending thousands of dollars on another bike.

My conclusion: "Assistant: Could you bring the restraining jacket please."

Murat Altinbasak said...

Considering? Too late for consideration my friend! It's a foregone conclusion! Wifey is breathing fire over it..

"It's easier to be forgiven than to ask permission"...

I always say..