America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

22 November 2006

Murat is outraged at both USAir and the Muslim passengers

'Twas the summer of 1992 and I'm driving up route 81 towards Syracuse in my police issue Dodge Diplomat (loved that car, built like a brick shit house) My aunt happened to be with me during this trip and being a devout Muslim, she started praying in the car. This is done while seated, and certain gestures are used to emulate the real motions one whould go through if they had a place to stand. I must say, it was extremely un-nerving to witness while driving, and I avoided passing and being passed by other cars, just so no one would see her. (Does that make me a bad person, or just an ignorant 21 year old?) My point is this: The six imams traveling from Minneapolis to Phoenix, should NOT have gone out of their way to invite such attention and scrutiny. I can't speak for their appearance and attire, but presume that their language seemed intimidating enough for Joe Schmo W.A.S.P. to wet himself.
Praying in the terminal was a poor choice. That three of the imams did not pray in the terminal is a bit telling- means we have a compaasionate and understanding G-d, who would rather see people travel safely and unfettered than be worshipped, at least in certain delicate circumstances. So give it a rest. My forehead hasn't touched a prayer rug in over ten years, and G-d loves me just the same as he loves you IMHO.. Oh, and gratuitous use of the word "Allah" in the presence of others- bad idea. Regrettably, for many Americans it has the same ring to it as the words "...make my day". Get my drift?
I know this sounds extremely anti-Muslim, especially coming from one whose religion is also "other", but I will also say this: The person who wrote a note and passed it to US Airways staff is a fucking weenie with an ax to grind.

No comments: