America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

16 November 2006

Orhan Pamuk Meets Murat at Brown University

That title is supposed to be funny... I am still pissed because our local "Turkish American Cultural Society of Rhode Island" (TACS-RI), of which I am a founder and past Vice President, did nothing to promote this event, aside from post it on their website (which I never visit). You would think that with all the Turkish students at Brown, that SOMEONE would be thoughtful enough to put out a message on the RI-TURKS Yahoo group... Big disappointment here, TACS-RI and Brown students! Had I known, I'd be shouting about it on the rooftops! I guess picnics and movie screenings are more important.. Whatever.. I found out about the program this morning, thanks to a message posted by Meltem at the Daughters of Ataturk Yahoo Group. (Many thanks, by the way.)
So it turned out that there was a book signing scheduled for 10:30 this morning. After much personal anguish about how much work time I'd lose, I decided to GO! Bought three more of his paper backs while waiting in the line with 100+ other book signees. I took my camera with me just in case I'd have the kahunas to ask permission for a photo together. As you can see, I carry mine in a wheelbarrow... Orhan and I chit-chatted for the 20 or so seconds it took to sign my four books and pose for a picture, which was taken by the gracious person who was in line behind me..
It was all worth it, and I know that if I didn't go, I'd be full of regret right now. He seems to be a class act. Me- I look over-worked, with a sleep deficit and a bad hair-cut, don't I? Up until about a week ago I could almost tie my hair in a little pony-tail.. I need a jacket that fits..

1 comment:

Celal Birader said...

Well done. A good memento for posterity.