America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

10 December 2006

Character is much harder to build than destroy

Murat skipped both of the big local cyclocross races this weekend in favor of sleep. I am in such a sleep deficit I can't answer simple questions when asked. Rest is important, especially after the marathon month I've had at work. The next two weeks appear to be no different, so I need to be strong... Nothing left for the bike, no time, no strength, little desire or motivation. I've left it all at the office.. Nothing left. Sure I beat myself up a bit for not racing yesterday and today, but second guessing my decisions isn't going to help. It was necessary. I did treat myself to a ride on the road bike after getting home from today's cross race (as a spectator). Went out for almost an hour, felt good, not bad, just a bit sluggish. The cold air is something my lungs do not like, that's for sure. A mile or two from home, I flatted in the middle of a bridge which spans a waterfall, right where the soap factory is located. Almost called Ebru to pick me up but decided I may as well patch it up in the few minutes it would take.. Seems my spare inner tube was the wrong one, I must have grabbed a tube for the 'cross bike.. seemed to have some tube left over while trying to force it into the tire.. made it fit though.. So I'm on my way home and I spy a license plate in the road near my house. I instinctively double back to retrieve it- it's an Arkansas plate, perfect condition. Will look nice hanging in my garage.
Today I decided that most every aspect of my life seems to be out-of-control... Family issues, this blog, my work, my health, finances, sports and fitness... How to reign it all in? It's impossible to satisfy every need, every desire, every goal or ambition.. It's perhaps time to re-define what those needs, desires and goals are, prioritize them, establish plans which are compatible with my family's needs, and finally, execute said plans... This will definitely require some soul-searching.
"Character", as I define it, is "having the resolve to see a project through to the end, even after the original enthusiasm has worn off".. How easy it is to abandon the best laid plans before completion, simply because you or someone close to you has lost sight of why the goal was worthwhile in the first place.

No comments: