America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

25 January 2007

The Hitch-hiker's Guide to Turkish Blogs continues

Next in my crosshairs... (mind you it's ladies first) we have Gulay, Galatasaray and the Dogs. Isn't that a mouthful? Sure is.. and her content lives up to it, that is, we find mouthfuls galore of anything and everything to do with soccer. Especially of one asshole team in particular (as Borat would have put it.. her team is like the Uzbekistan of the league).. because they suck. My favorite thing about her blog? Well for one she links to me using the correct spelling: "Amerikan Turk", with a 'k' . More importantly, Gulay is a maven on matters of the round ball.. to the point of making most of us men feel like sissie boys. Can you just imagine Gulay conducting post-game interviews in the men's locker room, or in the skybox calling the games as they unfold? I can. Easily.
I must say I am a little puzzled about her recent posts though. In
this one, she draws a line on the Armenian issue, like most of her red-blooded compatriots.. but in this one, she disappoints me with an assault on Article 301. Two incompatible positions Gulay! You can't support the official state position on genocide and then say that it's okay for journalists to run their mouths against it! There there.. simmer down- I'm not a fascist.. (See comment number 23) I'll let you sort that one out among yourselves..
On a brighter note, Gulay at last justifies 60% of the words in her blog title. In this recent post, I discover that there are indeed
some canine friends in the Gulay household: Kimi and Lucky! Here's an idea: A line of dog sweaters and accessories themed with Turkish soccer teams.. Who but Gulay to be the first in line for some Galatasaray dog booties.
Many thanks to Gulay's better half (Andy- a fellow bicyclist and former racer) for contributing to the comments here at AT..
they are worth repeating
PS: To the piece of shit who
"insulted Galatasaray-ness" with gutless anonymous profanity directed at Gulay, may a pack of wild dogs eat your heart out..

5 comments:

metin said...

speaking of the number '23,' the movie '23' comes out on Feb. 23.

Gulay said...

Murat, I hear your comment on my apparent two facedness with regard to Article 301. Law is law and it should be applied but it is how and who applies it that concerns me. We all have a definition of Turkishness and my point was who decides what insulting Turkishness means? I personally see no problem with journalists questioning a Government position, if they dont then we end up living in a totalitarian state, thats what free speech is all about, or am I mistaken.

Murat Altinbasak said...

There's free speech, and then there's the kind of free speech which can get you killed. If Article 301 did it's job and deterred people from attracting attention to their unpopular views, then perhaps people like Hrant Dink would still be alive.
So you see I'm not a fan of Article 301.. rather I'm a fan of Article 301 having the potential to save lives. Some Turks are not yet ready to accept a difference in thinking.. not yet. I would rather tolerate a little totalitarianism as you put it, than be gunned down on the street. When Turkish society is ready, A-301 will go away.. and trust me I'll be among the first to say good riddance!

Gulay said...

Well thats certainly one way of looking at it and I have to say I don't disagree with you but what a sad comment on the state of a society when you have to curtail free speech to protect people!!! Unfortuantely I agree with you about the state of Turkish society, when even the PM sues people for libel regarding a cartoon I feel it shows an inability to accept criticism, I recall Orham Pamuk makes a very similar point in his book Istanbul....

Anonim said...

This notion that Turkish people are not mature enough to be left to govern themselves (e.g., "Some Turks are not yet ready to accept a difference in thinking") has gotten really old. It only helps perpetuate the pervasive statist mindset and all ills that flow from it. Let the laws conform to internationally accepted norms (so they are defensible and not threaten social peace themselves), and let the people be, just be. You can always prosecute criminals if and when a law is broken. That's it. And if you think (or fear) that this would pave the way to problems too big to be dealt with ordinary law enforcement, then you don't know the power of Turkish police and domestic intelligence organizations. It's all a matter of where the political will is.