America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

10 January 2007

It's how you "pray"

Someone said this to me one day, in an attempt to explain my fanaticism about bicycling, racing, competing etc.. I liked hearing this because it explained many things.. Some people find relief by pressing their forehead to the floor and reciting Arabic words which have no meaning to them.. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. I just like my way better. As I contemplate what lies ahead for me and my family in 2007, it's clear that I should be riding my bike as much as possible, and as soon as possible.. because I will be asking for a LOT.
Is it sinful to worship one's own body? ('Worship' is a misnomer which you can replace with 'care deeply about'.) I kind of doubt it, because it is actually considered sinful (haram) to abuse one's body, isn't it? So the reverse could not possibly be true. Could "worshipping" the health of your heart, lungs, muscles, brain, circulation, bones, and organs.. be anything but good? Sorry G-d, but there's no time for prayer, not when you've limited our life spans with so many fucking diseases.. I have a family which I must stay healthy for,... and they need me more than you do.. Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely expressing appreciation and reverence for one's health, and any other positive points, doesn't have to be a religious process. (And in the big scheme of things, likely the man upstairs wouldn't complain about such a thankful state of being)

Religion aside, being thankful for things is a ritual more people can benefit from these days. But for some, it's "I cannot be happy unless I get the 4gb iPod Nano- screw this 2gb crap I got as a gift!" *toss*

Mabuse

Murat Altinbasak said...

Materialism is wanting things... consumerism, is buying those things you want, or both.. I'm confused. At any rate, being thankful for our good fortune, our health, our family and our friends, is of course something which more of us can do more often. Point taken.

Il Bruce said...

Bingo.

Anonymous said...

Oh I wasn't making any comments about materialism- though I guess that could apply depending on the circumstances. But that's totally unrelated to the post about the sweet bike.

Mabuse