America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

20 March 2007

"In the event of an emergency water landing...

...this aircraft will disintegrate into a billion fiery pieces and your physical being will instantaneously transorm into the consistency of cooked 'chum'..."
As a kid flying to Turkey every couple of years, I imagined that an emergency water landing would be awesome fun. There were huge self-inflating rafts! Super-slides to joyfully launch down! (no shoes allowed!) Some of the slides doubled as rafts! Self-inflating life vests! What a crock of SHIT.
Then there was that movie from the seventies, where a 747 gently touches down on the ocean without striking a wing tip, and then sinks to the bottom, completely intact.. It's rescued using inflated balloons... Further re-inforcing my delusion that air travel is as safe as jumping into a pool from a diving board, or as safe as riding in a submarine. I'm not pleased about being fed these lies.. My skin crawls with every take off and landing.
Wife hates when I bring this stuff up.. I can't help it.
Triggered by yesterday's landing in NY and LA by the behemoth A380 Airbus, I had to get this off my chest. Murat's a major weenie when it comes to flying in a plane. These things have no business being up there. Would be interested to see the safety pamphlets on board the A380, or view the safety vids and demonstrations. Remember these are double decker aircraft, which means I would probably pay double to be on the top floor, in order that the steerage below serves to cushion the impact. It could work. 

No comments: