America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

22 May 2007

Cutty Sark: Dad's whiskey of choice

He would do shots of Cutty Sark and chase it down with a little glass of beer. Shot, chaser, shot, chaser, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat... You get the idea. Good old "Five Corners Pub" in College Point was one of his favorite watering holes. It's still there, 30 years later. We drove past it the other week, while in New York. We're in the habit of stopping at a pizzeria where I would eat as a kid in the seventies- Copolla Restaurant on 14th Avenue, down the street from Five Corners. To die for, their pizza. Worth the pit stop. Well worth it. One day I'll stop into Five Corners too and have a shot of Cutty Sark and chase it down with a small glass of beer, shitty beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon or Schlitz. I'll go in there and probably see the same haggard faces from 25-30 years ago and tell them "Charlie" says hello. Cheers.
Photo
Photo
Photo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I didn't know better, I'd think yu
you were from Irish parents.

the Husband said...

despite this being scottish whisky anyway.....you do know that the Cutty Sark was the fastest tea clipper ever built. tats right it was to take opium in and tea out of china....ceck the record books and I think you will find its the fastest and if some asshole burned it down then I hope they get keel hauled..

Anonymous said...

I only meant the description on Murat's father going to the tavern, not the choice of alcohol.

I am Irish and my grandparents "lived" at the bar and would drink what ever was available, usuauly the cheapest wiskey or Naragansett and Schlitz beer (unfortunately, my grandmother was my caregiver so I spent the first 5 years of my life there too) Would that be child abuse now????

Hans A.H.C. de Wit said...

Whisky is Scottish, Whiskey is American..))

All these talks about etnic back ground, is talking like who is from a good stock and who not...

Murat Altinbasak said...

Oh yeah.. Charlie loved to escape to the local watering holes.. Paul's Place, Five Corners, Billy Mark's Tavern.. He even started going to my favorite little dive in Rochester NY where I spent happy hour every night during my early 20s.. the Playground Tavern..
Some alcoholics drink at home, some like to be away from home.

Sorry I mis-spelled "whisky". :)

I had no idea about the Cutty Sark being so swift. I thought it was another of the Mayflower, Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria breed..

Murat Altinbasak said...

Most of my dad's drinking buddies were in fact either Irish or German.. I spent a lot of time retrieving him from bars for my mom, for about 20 years since I was five.. He's bought me more overpriced Cokes than any other father on the planet. I was not going to wait there for him and be thirsty!

Anonymous said...

Murat,

I meant no disrespect. Like I said, I spent the first 5 years of my life sitting on a bar while grandma got wasted. To this day, stale beer makes me think of her! I still loved her though.