America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

14 November 2007

Murat's Journey to New York

Took the high speed Acela train down to NY from Providence this morning. Then I walked from 34th all the way to 68th street, just because I didn't have enough cash for a cab (nor do I know what a 30 block cab ride costs, nor do I have any idea how to use the subway..) and I hate using ATMs while traveling, in protest of the $2-3 fee that I'm charged for the privilege of getting my money. I'm glad I walked though, because along the way, I discovered just how puny and insignificant I am and how little impact I have on the world. An astonishing amount of wealth populates Manhattan, and it seem easy to pick out the ones who "grind it out" for 1/4 million a year, and those who do the same in a month without having to work... Additionally, I also discovered that most girls in Rhode Island are quite unattractive. You get my drift. Oh well.. At least I found the wonderful HBO store! I didn't go in, but I resolved to find it on my journey back to Penn Station later on.
Along the way towards East 68th Street, I stumbled upon a gathering of people at the CBS building. Alicia Keyes was to give a free concert at 12:00. I was early, so I stood around for a while thinking I'd watch the show. In typical 'just like a woman' fashion, the show didn't start by the time it was 12:30 and I had to get going.. So I made it to my appointment at about 1:00, spent 15 minutes measuring a gutted room in a very expensive gutted apartment. I am going to fit it up with library bookcases and all kinds of fancy mouldings. Boring as hell. The rep from the architect's office was a treat though.. Barely 20 years old.. breath still smelling of milk.. with a button down blouse that was hardly buttoned. I felt so old for a moment there. Fifteen years ago, I'd have her eating out of my hand.. but I digress. So I'm headed back to Penn Station, feet beginning to protest, and just as I'm crossing a red carpet leading into a fancy building on Park Ave, who darts across right in front of me? Alicia Keyes, post show I presume. I'm not a big fan, but she is indeed easy on the eyes. How ironic that I blew off the performance and later ended up closer to her than ayone else in the audience (Metin rolls his eyes here).. Made my way back to the HBO store and bought dear wife one of those "I LOVE SEX in the city" t-shirts.. and for myself a very cool Curb Your Enthusiasm coffee mugs.. the one which says "half empty" on it. After horking down a 1/3 pound mushroom swiss burger from Micky Dees at the train station, I boarded my Acela train and konked out for two and a half hours, just in time to exit the train at Providence Station. Head throbbing, I found my little red Hyundai in the parking lot where I left it 11 hours before and drove myself home. Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

Metin said...

Never mind Alicia Keys. Send me the phone number of the Barely Legal girl . . . lol

In a year or so, she'll be legal to drink more than milk. And we have plenty of Patron or Ketel One here . . .

:)

I can't believe you didn't spend the night in New York. I guess you can blame it on married life.

I'll be in NYC next week . . .

Murat Altinbasak said...

Spend the night? for what?
If I never return to New York ever again, that would be great. I lived there until I was 15, and I still think it sucks balls.
Enjoy your trip. Don't eat too many knishes.

Hans A.H.C. de Wit said...

Who the heck is Alicia Keys? Another girl on the block..))
Ketel One? Dutch jenever..!
Metin in NYC? Can you leave your pool alone..)

Metin said...

Hey it's a business + pleasure trip. What can I say? I will be in PA for Thanksgiving with my brother whose name ironically is Murat as well . . .

There are still a few hangout places in Manhattan's SoHo and NoHo that I miss . . .

Besides, there are some women in NYC that still miss me . . . One of them is Lady Liberty.

Finduk O. said...

i liked your trip report murat. cute. well-written.
like a true new yorker (meant as a compliment)

Murat Altinbasak said...

Thank you Finduk! :)
I was born in Queens and lived there until I was 15.. but I don't consider myself a New Yorker any more!

I seem to go between telling intimate detailed personal stories to blabbering about news stories which piss me the hell off.

Right now I'm on a "answer all comments" kick. It will pass..