America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

03 December 2007

Seven Things About Murat

In accordance with Ardent's "tag", I will honor the code and share these facts about myself:
  1. I used to own a cockatiel which I named "Schulzie" and a mutt I picked up at the dog pound which I named "Fritz". I gave Schulzie away because I couldn't take care of him, and Fritzs ran away and got hit by a car. Fritz had no tags and bit his rescuer. He was put down the day before I tracked him down at the animal hostpital.
  2. My right wrist has a deformity caused by a crash while riding my bike in Turkey in 1989. My wrist ws fractured and now there's a growth of bone which looks a bit freakish. At the time, I was 17 and racing at an elite level, and assured of winning the Junior National Championship Road Race title, if only I didn't crash and end my season. Dreams.. dashed.
  3. For my 16th birthday, my parents foolishly bought me a lightly used Pontiac Fiero with T-tops. I crashed it at an intersection going 60+ miles an hour. Totaled it. After that, my dad got me a Ford Fiesta.
  4. I bought my first house when I was 20 years old for $76,100. Later on, I rented it out but had to evict the renters after about 6 months. After they left, I ripped out all the carpeting and tossed it because it was so filthy.
  5. I was scammed for $600 trying to buy a Herman Miller Aeron chair on Ebay in 2004. I e-mailed the scammer that I was disabled and needed the special chair in order to try to work again and support my family. He believed me.. and out of pity, he sent me a bunch of Visa gift cards to cover the $600 that he stole from me.. all presumed to be bought with stolen credit card numbers. I tossed all of them except for one $100 card I used to buy groceries with. Ebay sent me $250.
  6. My road race bike (a Look 486 carbon- $7000 retail) is worth twice what I can sell my Hyundai Elantra for, and weighs only 16 pounds.
  7. I was arrested [only] once for forgetting to appear in court for a summons regarding my dog barking too much. No cuffs, I was just aked to follow the policeman in my car.

So that's my seven things. Now I need to tag seven others, but I'll do that tomorrow night!

2 comments:

Ardent said...

I enjoyed reading your seven facts, Thanks.

Murat Altinbasak said...

Thanks Ardent. It was hard to choose what NOT to tell..