America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

02 January 2009

Under your wing


Empire State Building
Originally uploaded by Amerikan Turk
My maternal grandmother is visiting us from Turkey. It's a short time after we moved from our apartment in Kew Gardens to a nice water view home in College Point. My sister Elif appears to be less than one year old, so it can only be Spring 1977, I guess. Presumably, my dear mother is taking this picture with an old 110 camera- the kind that makes a funny whining sound in between shots. I was flipping through a pile of old photos and stumbled across this one. We're on the observation deck of the Empire State Building. I don't know- this picture makes me want to cry for some reason.
In this picture, I see myself in a place which I searched all of my life to find again, and never did. Look at little old Murat under there- under the wing of his hero, feeling so content that he's oblivious to the camera. Man.. this is emotional. I miss my Dad.

4 comments:

Nevin said...

I know what you mean about looking through old photos and becoming totally nostalgic...

super hero said...

i feel you. it is like we are desperately searching for something which is not even there in our adult life.

TT said...

Some of us have never let go of that inner child... People tell me all the time I act like a 5-year old...
:)

Murat Altinbasak said...

Thank you for the nice words guys.
When my brother and I buried my father last May, the finality and sense of loss hit me like a freight train. Knowing that what you see in the photo will never be, ever again, is pretty heart breaking, pretty hard to swallow.. My son Reis is now at about the same age as I am in the picture. Sometimes I hug the kid so hard I bet his eyeballs bulge out of his face. I can't help it.