America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

16 March 2009

The Way We Were


Strange how the good memories seem more painful than the bad ones. Is it because good times allow the vulnerability to love and bad times require strength? Still doesn't explain why they hurt more.

This picture is from the last time my dad made me breakfast. Last year I went to Turkey to see him before he died because we knew he was getting close. This was one of only 2 days out of 2 weeks that he felt well enough to get out of bed, but wow, what a great day it was. Barbara Streisand's "The Way We Were" comes to mind. If you look closely you'll see our reflection in the teapot.

The Way We Were
Mem'ries, light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories

Of the way we were

Scattered pictures, of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were


Can it be that it was all so simple then
Or has time rewritten every line
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we, could we


Mem'ries, may be beautiful and yet

What's too painful to remember

We simply choose to forget


So it's the laughter

We will remember
Whenever we remember
The way we were

The way we were

4 comments:

Nic said...

I agree. How come the good memories seem more painful these days? But I wouldn't even replace the bad memories, because they are all we have left of the old times. So sorry to hear about your Father. This is a very nice way of remembering him at breakfast!

Internation Musing said...

happy birthday Murat.)
kindest
hans

Murat Altinbasak said...

Thank you Hans! :)
Elif my sixth grade class sang that song at graduation from elementary school. Your father cried his eyes out.

realelif said...

lol, oh wow! I think I remember that song being rehearsed when passing the auditorium at ps 129.